The preparations for multimedia project “The Dark Star Quest” begun in May 2008, following the steps of the historical messengers sent out by Czech king Jiri of Podebrady in 1465. Roughly forty quest members, lead by Sir Lev of Rozmital and of Blatna, had the task to visit and gain the approval of the European Christian monarchs and rulers to begin the creation of the European Community. The proposed concept of this remarkable and futuristic idea can be considered as the image model of our current European Union.
On November 25, 1465 the Quest began its journey from part of Prague and from part of Blatna castle, across Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, England, France, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Slovenia and Austria to return to Czech the spring of 1467.
Based on the preserved travel journals, particularly from the pen of Vaclav Sasek of Birkov, is clear that this often very exciting and dangerous quest was with some exceptions highly honored. The task to represent the Czech crown in the cultural and community field has been overall very successful.
Our project “The Dark Star Quest”, similar to its historical example, has the aspiration to reach many goals. The main being the capture of the artistic documentations portraying the current look of the European land and the culture filled lives of its people following the trails taken by the messengers of the king Jiri of Podebrady. In addition to the project’s goals the promotion of Czech Republic and creation of new contacts and friendships goes along with it.
The actual expedition will begin in May 2010 and you can join us virtually or in person. You can help this expedition along by submitting your professional, personal or touristic knowledge of interesting places and objects that are on its path or near to it. Tell us about extraordinary people, history and legends, local festivities and other interesting and unusual things.
The progress of the quest will be accessible by logging in to our web site www.vypravanatmavouhvezdu.cz, or www.darkstarquest.eu where you will also be able to add your comments and help to create and mold our expedition during its entirety.
Important part of the project is also the focus to sell the video clips from this journey, for a symbolic price, to fund viewing of this expedition in nursing homes for the retired and ill part of the population and in orphanages in Czech Republic and other countries. In recognition of this project a non-profit organization “The Third Age Journey” - “Cesty Tretiho Veku o.s.” (Občanské sdružení – IČO 22662235) was founded on June 22, 2007.
Your presence and help in any kind of form will please not just us, but many other people.
We are interested in following information about visited places:
- Is there anything linked to this historical quest or anything from this time period?
- What is the history of this place, any myth or legends?
- Is there any historical, cultural or architectural building, pilgrimage place or healing spring?
- What are local interests, celebrations, holidays, fairs or other revels?
- What is local community sign/mark, advertising and informational materials, photographs, memorable items?
- Was anyone famous born here; does anyone interesting or someone gifted live here, maybe someone with an interesting trade?
- Is there a product characteristic for this place?
- What are the local foods and drinks?
- Does anyone in your surroundings origins from Czech Republic or has anything in common with Czech Republic?
- Tell us of a city, a village or a place that can be in a contest for the most beautiful place within the route of this expedition. Let us know of the most beautiful local tradition or festivity. Based on the votes from our web site’s visitors and our judges we will announce the city and its tradition winner resulting in a production of a motion picture.
Jan Hanzal - The Author of the Project - member of Association of Czech Cinematographers